Gammon Florentine with Garlic and Spinach
Not too tricky
- 450g cooked cold gammon, cut into rough strips
- 25g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 beef tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Good pinch of sugar
- 450g cooked chopped spinach, drained well
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground Black pepper
- 25g extra grated Cheddar, for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 75g strong Cheddar cheese,grated
- 25g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 600ml prepared white sauce
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
Preheat oven to 190°C, 170°C Fan, Gas Mark 5.
Heat the butter in a large frying pan and cook the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and toss briefly in the garlic butter. Add the sugar and season well.
Tip the tomatoes into a large shallow ovenproof gratin dish and level off with a knife. Spoon over the spinach and season well with the nutmeg and black pepper. Top the tomatoes with the strips of gammon.
In a small bowl mix together the extra grated cheese and breadcrumbs, set to one side.
Meanwhile, add the aditional cheese to the hot white sauce, stir in the mustard and season to taste. Spoon the sauce over the gammon and sprinkle over the cheese and breadcrumb mix.
Bake in the oven for approx 20-25 minutes until golden brown.