Gammon Florentine With Garlic And Spinach
Not too tricky
- 450g (1lb) Cooked cold gammon, cut into rough strips
- 25g (1oz) Butter
- 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 Beef tomatoes, sliced thickly
- Good pinch of sugar
- 450g (1lb) Cooked chopped spinach, drained well
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground Black pepper
- 25g (1oz) Extra grated cheddar for sprinkling
- 30ml (2tbsp) Dried breadcrumbs
- 75g (3oz) Strong cheddar cheese,grated
- 25g (1oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 600ml (1pt) White sauce
- 10ml (2tsp) English mustard
Preheat oven to 190°C, Gas Mark 5.
In a large frying pan heat the butter and fry off the garlic for 30 seconds.
Add the tomatoes and toss very briefly in the garlic butter (no more than 30 seconds). Scatter over the sugar and season the tomatoes well.
Tip the seasoned tomatoes into a large shallow oven proof gratin dish and level off. Spoon the spinach over the tomatoes and season well with nutmeg and plenty of freshly ground black pepper, and top the tomatoes with the strips of gammon.
In a small bowl mix together the extra grated cheese and breadcrumbs, set to one side.
Meanwhile, add the cheeses to the hot white sauce and stir in the mustard; season to taste. Spoon the sauce over the gammon and sprinkle over the cheese and breadcrumb mix.
Bake in the oven for approx 20-25 minutes or until bubbling hot and golden brown.