11 March 2020
How do I slow cook pork?
Whether it’s a stew simmering on the hob, a joint roasting in the oven or a curry cooking in the slow cooker, cooking hearty meals low and slow is the perfect way to achieve delicious flavour whilst you relax. We have a great range of slow cook recipes and some handy hints on achieving meltingly tender results.
Oven, Hob or Slow Cooker?
Different recipes suggest different cooking methods but you can also adapt recipes cooked on the hob or in the oven for the slow cooker.
It may also be helpful to know that sometimes the style of cooking typically defines the name of the dish; stews are traditionally cooked on the hob and casseroles in the oven, but these days there doesn’t seem to be set rules!
Dust off that slow cooker or crockpot because they’re experiencing a come-back! With minimal preparation, the slow cooker does all the work and you can return home to amazing smells and meltingly tender results – what’s not to love?!
Top tips to slow cook pork to perfection
We have some great slow cooker recipes in this section. Here are a few tips to bear in mind:
- Keep it easy and opt for recipes that don’t need a lot of prep work. If they do, do your peeling and chopping the night before and store in a food bag in the fridge (you don’t want onion tears first thing in the morning), or to save on time why not take advantage of the huge variety of ready-prepared vegetables available?
- Buy the right cut of meat. As meat is cooked slowly, it lends itself to more economical cuts of meat like pork shoulder – a double bonus! See our cuts page for ideas.
- While it’s important that your recipe doesn’t dry out, don’t be tempted to put extra liquid into your recipes. The moisture can’t evaporate away like when you cook on the hob, so you should adjust your recipes slightly – a general rule is to half the liquid if using a slow cooker.
- Keep the lid firmly on and no peeping as any steam generated underneath the lid helps to retain moisture in the slow cooker.
- Leave it alone. Slow cookers haven’t changed their design much since their introduction in the 1970’s – because they work so well so just let it work its magic.
- Always ensure your food is thoroughly cooked before eating it. We’ve got a rough guide below to help you decide how long you need to cook your favourite recipes in the slow cooker for.
Adapting recipe times for a slow cooker
Different brands of slow cookers will have different cooking settings so it’s best to refer to your manufacturers’ handbook for cooking times. But if you want to adapt your favourite recipe for the slow cooker then we have a rough guide below.
If a dish usually takes:
- 1 – 2 hours, cook it for 3 – 4 hours on High or 6 – 8 hours on Low
- 2 – 4 hours, cook it for 4 – 6 hours on High or 8 – 12 hours on Low
After the perfect slow cooker pork recipe?
Now all that's left is to choose your new favourite slow-cooked recipe! Have a look through our Slow Cooked Pork Recipe Collection to find great slow cooker recipes.