Vietnamese Pork with Jasmine Rice
A delicious pork dish inspired by Vietnamese cuisine. Full of exciting flavours and cooked to perfection this dish will provide a taste sensation.
- 4 pork loin medallions or 6 pork fillet medallions
For the Vietnamese Paste
- 1-2 teaspoons lemongrass paste (choose one low in salt and sugar)
- 1 shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed or 1 teaspoon garlic purée
- 2 teaspoons sugar (soft brown, if available)
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 200g jasmine (or basmati) rice or 2 x 250g pouches jasmine (or basmati) rice
- Thinly sliced carrot and cucumber strips
- Fresh mint leaves
- Chilli sauce
Place the pork in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, mix together the paste ingredients (except the rice) with a good grinding of black pepper to make a smooth paste. Coat the pork with the paste on both sides.
Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the pack instructions..
Heat a non-stick griddle or frying pan for a couple of minutes until hot. Add the pork and cook for 10 minutes, turning once or until the juices run clear. Thinly slice the pork. Serve the rice in bowls, top with the carrot and cucumber and then arrange the slices of pork. Garnish with mint leaves and serve with a little chilli sauce.
If preferred, replace the fresh lemongrass with 2-3 teaspoons lemongrass paste. If you have time make the paste up the day before and store in the fridge.