Upside Down Bacon Hotpot
60 minutes 15 minutes
Not too tricky
- 225g (8oz) Dry cured premium unsmoked back bacon rashers, trimmed and cut into 3
- 2 Knobs butter
- 2 Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 Large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 Eating apple, sliced across through the core
- 2 Sprigs fresh sage
- 300ml (1/2pt) Pork stock
Grease a large shallow ovenproof gratin type dish with a small knob of butter.
Place the sliced vegetables and apple into a large bowl and season, toss together to mix.
Place vegetables into the shallow dish and spread out. Add sage and push into the layers.
Pour over the hot stock, add the bacon pieces and dot with butter.
Cover with foil and cook in a preheated oven for about 50 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Remove foil and cook for a further 15 minutes to brown and crisp the top.
Serve with extra green seasonal steamed vegetables.
If you want to speed-up the cooking time, parboil all the vegetables together in a large pan before placing in the dish!