Sweet Cured Bacon Pie With Spring Vegetables
Not too tricky
- 225g sweet cured back bacon rashers (about 8 rashers)
- 1 x 500g pack shortcrust pastry
- 4 baby carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 6 asparagus spears
- 3 baby leeks, or one large, cut into long thin strips
- 25g green beans
- 2 tablespoons caramelised onion chutney or similar fruit chutney
- 1 x 500g pack puff pastry
- Beaten egg and milk, to glaze
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4-5.
Roll out the shortcrust pastry and line a 900g loaf tin or a deep pie dish.
Lay 2 rashers of bacon and some of the vegetables onto the bottom of the loaf tin or pie dish. Top with the chutney and continue to layer with the remaining vegetables.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry and cover the tin or dish. Brush with egg and milk glaze.
Bake in oven for about 45–50 minutes until pastry is well golden. (If the pastry starts to catch cover with foil.)
Serve with new potatoes and extra seasonal vegetables or as part of a ‘spring picnic’ with extra pickles.