Sweet Cured Bacon Pie With Spring Vegetables
Not too tricky
- 225g (8oz) Sweet cured back bacon rashers (about 8 rashers)
- 500g (1lb) Packet Shortcrust pastry
- 4 Baby carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 6 Asparagus spears
- 3 Baby leeks, or one large cut into long thin strips
- 25g (1oz) Green beans
- 30ml (2tbsp) Caramelised onion chutney or similar fruit chutney
- 500g (1lb) Packet Puff pastry
- Egg and milk for glaze
Preheat oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4-5.
Roll out shortcrust pastry and line loaf tin (900g (2lb) or deep pie dish.
Layer into the bottom 2 rashers of bacon and some of the vegetables, top with the chutney and continue to layer the rest of the ingredients.
Roll out puff pastry and cover the tin.
Brush with egg and milk glaze.
Bake in oven for about 45–50 minutes until pastry is well golden. (If the pastry starts to catch cover with foil.)
Serve with new potatoes and extra seasonal veg or as part of a ‘spring picnic’ with extra pickles.