Smokey Bacon And Watercress Soup
- 100g (4oz) oak smoked, streaky, back bacon rashers, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, squashed
- 1 Large potato (about 225g, 8oz), roughly chopped into small cubes with skin-on
- 900ml (1½pts) vegetable stock
- 2x85g bags watercress, washed and roughly chopped
- Black pepper
- 300ml (½pt) semi skimmed milk
- 8 dry cured pancetta rashers or streaky bacon rashers, for serving
Preheat the grill.
Place the bacon, onion and garlic in a large pan. Using the melted bacon fat lightly cook. Add the potato, stock, watercress and black pepper. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the potato is tender.
Place the soup in a food processor or use a hand blender and whizz until smooth. Replace in the pan, add the milk and heat through.
Place the pancetta rashers on the grill grid and cook until crispy and golden.
Serve the soup with extra ‘dunking’ rashers.