Smokey Bacon And Watercress Soup
- 100g oak smoked, streaky, back bacon rashers, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 large potato (about 225g), roughly chopped (with skin-on)
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- Black pepper
- 2x 85g bags watercress, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 300ml semi skimmed milk
- 8 dry cured pancetta rashers or streaky bacon rashers, for serving
Preheat the grill to moderate.
Place the bacon, onion and garlic in a large pan. Using the melted bacon fat, lightly cook. Add the potato, stock, and black pepper. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the potato is tender. Add the watercress.
Place the soup in a food processor or use a hand blender and whizz until smooth. Replace in the pan, add the milk and heat through.
Place the pancetta rashers on the grill grid and cook until crispy and golden.
Serve the soup with extra ‘dunking’ rashers.