Smokey Bacon And Egg Bake With Red Peppers
- 200g dry cured oak smoked thick cut back bacon rashers – about 6 rashers, 4 left whole, 2 cut into large pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1-2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into small pieces
- 4 eggs
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C, 180°C Fan.
In a large pan heat the oil and add the bacon, onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Pour into four individual ovenproof shallow gratin dishes or one large ovenproof dish. Take the whole rashers of bacon and curl into a rough circle and place on top of the mixture.
Make a slight indent in the mixture, crack the eggs and place in the centre of each individual dish or evenly on the top of a large ovrenproof dish.
Bake for about 20 minutes until the eggs have set.
Serve with chunks of crusty bread.