Smokey Bacon And Egg Bake With Red Peppers
- 200g (7oz) Dry cured oak smoked thick cut back bacon rashers – about 6 rashers
- 5ml (1tsp) Olive oil
- 1 Red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 15-30ml (1-2tbsp) Smoked paprika
- 400g (approx) Can chopped tomatoes
- 30ml (2tbsp) Tomato ketchup
- 1 Red pepper, deseeded and cut into small pieces
- 4 Eggs
Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C, 400°F.
Leave 4 rashers of bacon whole and chop the remaining 2 into large pieces.
In a large pan heat the oil and add the chopped bacon, onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onion begins to soften. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Pour into four individual shallow gratin dishes or one large dish. Take the whole rashers of bacon and curl into a rough circle and place on top of the mixture.
Make a slight indent in the mixture, crack the eggs and place in the centre of each individual dish or evenly on the top of one large dish.
Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until the eggs have set.
Serve with chunks of crusty bread for dipping.