Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chilli Con Carne
Try our mouth watering slow cooker chilli con carne recipe for an easy way to enjoy pork that tastes delicious.
- 1.6kg pork shoulder, rind and skin removed
- 1½ teaspoons hot chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 x 400g can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 6 small soft tortillas
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 12 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 50g full fat hard cheese, e.g. Cheddar or Cheshire cheese, grated
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Place the pork on a chopping board and lay flat. In a small bowl, mix together the spices, oregano and seasoning. Rub all over the pork, massaging it in well then roll up.
Put the joint into the slow cooker, add the onion, pepper, kidney beans, chopped tomatoes and stock. Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours, or according to the manufacturer's instructions for your slow cooker.
`Pull' the cooked pork by securing with a fork and shredding into chunky pieces with a second fork. Lightly warm the tortillas. Mix the lettuce and cherry tomatoes together.
Divide the tortillas among six plates and top each with a small handful of the salad, pulled pork chilli, cheese and coriander leaves. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
Alternatively, cook the pulled pork low and slow in the oven. Preheat the oven to 150°C, 130°C Fan, Gas Mark 2. In a small bowl mix together the spices, oregano and seasoning. Rub all over the pork and roll up. Transfer to a foil-lined roasting tin or ovenproof casserole dish. Add the onion, pepper, kidney beans, chopped tomatoes and 100ml hot chicken or vegetable stock. Cover tightly with extra foil or the casserole lid and cook in the oven for about 5 hours, or until tender. Remove the joint from the oven and leave to rest covered for 20 minutes. Follow method steps 3 and 4.