Sausage Jambalaya With Spring Onions
- 1x 400g Lincolnshire sausages
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Pinch mild chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric powder
- 225g easy cook brown rice
- 450ml hot pork stock
- 1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Ground black pepper
- 3 whole cloves
- 5 spring onions, chopped
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 100g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 courgette, halved lengthways and sliced diagonally
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the sausages over a medium heat until browned. Remove from the pan and keep to one side. When cool enough to handle, cut each sausage in half.
Meanwhile, add the onion, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric and rice to the same pan and cook until the rice is opaque. Add the stock, tomatoes and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the sausages and the remaining ingredients and continue to cook, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
Sprinkle with the green tops of the spring onions and serve immediately.