Sausage Jambalaya With Spring Onions
- 400g (14oz) Lincolnshire sausages
- 5ml (1tsp) Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- Mild chilli powder
- 2 x 5ml (2tsp) Ground turmeric
- 225g (8oz) Easy cook brown rice
- 450ml (¾pt) Pork stock
- 400g (1) Can chopped tomatoes
- Ground black pepper
- 3 Whole cloves
- 5 Spring onions, chopped (reserve some green tips for garnish)
- (½) Red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 100g (4oz) Button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 Courgette, halved lengthways then sliced diagonally
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the sausages over a medium heat until browned. Remove from the pan and keep to one side. When cool enough to handle, cut each sausage in half.
Meanwhile, add the onion, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric and rice to the pan and cook until the rice is opaque. Add the stock, chopped tomatoes and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the sausages and the remaining ingredients and continue to cook, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
Sprinkle with the green tops of the spring onions before serving.