Sausage And Bean Casserole
- 300g chorizo style pork chipolata sausages or sausages of your choice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 500ml tomato passatta
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- 2 tablespoons soft dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1x 400g can flageolet beans, drained and rinsed
- 1x 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1x 400g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add sausages, onion and garlic. Heat gently until sausages begin to brown and onions soften.
Add all remaining ingredients and simmer gently with lid on for about 30 minutes, alternatively transfer to the oven for a slightly longer cooking time
Serve the casserole with crusty bread.
If preferred, replace the flageolet beans with baked beans or the tomato pasatta with chopped tomatoes.
Alternatively, pop the casserole in a preheated oven at 180°, 160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4 for 1 hour.