Pork Tagine With Apricots And Pistachios
2 hours 30 minutes
- 15ml (1tbsp) Oil
- 1 Red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
- 900g (2lb) Large trimmed chunks of pork shoulder, collar or leg (or lean pork daubes)
- 15ml (3tsp) Ras el Hanout spice mix
- 600ml (1pt) Pork stock
- 400g (1) Can chopped tomatoes
- 75g (3oz) Dates, stones removed and halved
- 50g (2oz) Dried apricots, halved
- 400g (1) Can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 100g (4oz) Couscous
- 15g Pistachio nuts, shelled and roughly chopped
- 15g Fresh mint leaves, roughly torn
Preheat the oven to 180-200C/ Gas Mark 6.
Heat oil in a large ovenproof pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the pork and brown on all sides.
Add the spice, stock, tomatoes, dates and apricots and stir well. Cover the pan and place in the oven for 2 hours.
At the end of this time, remove the lid and stir in the chickpeas and couscous. Replace the lid and cook for a further 20-30 minutes until the meat is tender and the couscous has absorbed the cooking liquid.
Serve sprinkled with the pistachio nuts and mint leaves.