Everyone loves a schnitzel and these are super quick to cook…
For the Pork Schnitzels
- 4 pork loin medallions or fillet medallions
- 2 whole eggs
- 100g plain flour, seasoned with a pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 small handful of fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped (or 1tablespoon dried rosemary)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 100g fresh white crust-free breadcrumbs or Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for cooking
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 x 100g bag mixed salad leaves
- 100g pickled red cabbage
- 1 x 300g pot prepared potato salad
- Or make your own potato salad by boiling 300g small new potatoes. When cooked mix the potatoes with 3 tablespoon light mayonnaise and optional, 2 tablespoon capers and optional 1 small red onion peeled and thinly sliced.
Place the pork loin medallions on a board between two sheets of cling film. Using the base of a small saucepan, bash them all over until they’re 5mm thin so they cook quickly.
Take three shallow cereal bowls. In one bowl, mix the flour with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. In the next bowl, crack the eggs and whisk together. In the third bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the rosemary and lemon zest.
Take one pork medallion, coat both sides in the seasoned flour, then dip in the egg, then the breadcrumbs. Place to one side and repeat for all four medallions.
Put a large frying pan onto a medium heat with the vegetable oil.
When it’s hot, add the breaded pork schnitzel and fry for 3 minutes on each side. (When the crumb is a lovely golden brown and the juices run clear, you’ll know it’s cooked).
For an authentic schnitzel experience, serve with pickled red cabbage, potato salad and mixed green leaves. Squeeze the juice of a lemon wedge over the schnitzel for extra zing.
Top Tip: Cooking for the family?
Once cooked, slice the schnitzel into fingers to make it easier for little ones to manage. Make mealtimes fun by building a Jenga-style tower with porky fingers and carrot and cucumber sticks!
Pork loin steaks could also be used, just remember to trim the fat off beforehand.