Pork Adobo Kebabs with Vegetable Rice
This pork kebabs recipe follows the much-loved Filipino inspired adobo cooking style of marinating the pork using vinegar, garlic and soy sauce. Don't forget to spoon any remaining marinade over the kebabs and rice - you won't want to waste any of it!
- 4 pork loin medallions or pork loin steaks, fat removed and diced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into small squares
- 100g button mushrooms
- 1 x 227g can pineapple slices in natural juice, drained and each cut into cubes
- 2 x 200g pouches frozen vegetable rice
- 8 wooden skewers/metal kebab skewers
- Lime wedges, to garnish
If using wooden kebab sticks, soak in water for 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix together the vinegar, garlic, pepper, soy sauce and oil. Add the pork, stir, cover, set aside and marinate for 10 minutes.
Preheat the grill to moderate. Drain the pork from the marinade (reserve marinade). Thread the pork onto the skewers alternating with the pepper, mushrooms and pineapple. Place on a grill pan lined with foil and grill for 10 minutes, turning occasionally or until the juices run clear.
Place the remaining marinade in a small saucepan with the juices from the grill pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 minute until piping hot.
Meanwhile, microwave the rice pouches according to pack instructions. Divide between 4 plates. Serve the pork kebabs on top of the rice and spoon the sauce over the cooked kebabs
Try serving with fragrant Jasmine rice or a flavoured rice pouch instead
To save time, prepare a double batch of the medallions and the marinade, freeze half and store for another meal.