Ploughman’s Mini Bacon Loaves
Not too tricky
- 240g Premium Wiltshire cure unsmoked back bacon rashers, trimmed and cut into large pieces
- 450g (1lb) plain flour
- 30ml (2tbsp) baking powder
- pinch salt
- 4 eggs, medium
- 450ml (¾pt) semi skimmed milk
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 5-6 pickled onions, sliced
- 50g (2oz) cheddar type cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C, 350°F.
Into a large bowl place the flour, baking powder and salt.
Break the eggs into a jug and lightly mix with a fork. Add the milk and mix together.
Place the butter into a hot frying pan and add the bacon, cook for 2-3 minutes until bacon is cooked through. Allow to cool slightly.
Add the cooked bacon to the flour and mix, then add the onions, cheese and tomato.
Fold together the bacon and flour mixture with the egg and milk mix using a large spoon, until all ingredients are thoroughly combined – but don’t over mix!
Fill each lined mini loaf tin or large muffin case almost to the top with about 3 large spoonfuls of the mixture.
Cook in a preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes until well risen and golden.
Serve hot or cold, sliced with or without butter, extra pickled onions and cheese!