Phil Vickery’s Baked Pork Steaks with Pepper and Olive Sauce
Not too tricky
- 4 lean pork loin or leg steaks
- 60ml olive oil
- ½ small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 280g jar char-grilled peppers, drained and chopped
- 16 black olives, pitted and chopped
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180°C fan, Gas Mark 6.
Heat the olive oil in a heat proof frying pan. Lightly season the pork and cook in the oil for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer onto a baking tray and set aside.
Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until slightly coloured.
Add the peppers, olives and stock. Season well. Cook for 15 minutes until slightly thickened then stir in the basil. Return the pork steaks to the pan and spoon over the sauce. Transfer to the oven.
Cook for 10-15 minutes to cook through and thicken slightly.
Serve with a little garlic bread and a touch of natural yogurt spiced up with a little freshly chopped basil and black pepper.