Oak Smoked Bacon Cakes With Lime Chilli
- 225g oak smoked back bacon rashers, chopped
- 450g potatoes, peeled, and cubed
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1x 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- ½ teaspoons chilli powder
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Zest and juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
- 1 teaspoon seasoned flour
- 1 teaspoon oil
Pool the potatoes and parsnips in a large pan of water for 15-20 minutes until soft. Drain and transfer to a large bowl and mash. Cool slightly and set aside.
Dry-fry the bacon, garlic and ginger in a shallow pan until just starting to brown. Transfer to the potato mixture with the chilli powder, spring onions, green chilli, lime zest and juice, coriander and seasoning. Thoroughly mix together until all ingredients are combined well.
Shape into 18 small balls and flatten into patties. Dust with the seasoned flour. Cover and chill for about 15 minutes.
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook each side until golden brown and heated through. Serve with mixed salad leaves and fruit chutney of your choice or chilli mayonnaise.