Oak Smoked Bacon Cakes With Lime Chilli
- 225g (8oz) Oak smoked back bacon rashers, chopped
- 450g (1lb) Old potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 2 Parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 2.5cm (1”) Ginger, peeled and grated
- 2.5g (½tsp) Chilli powder
- 4 Spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 Green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- ½ Lime, juice and rind removed
- 30g (2tbsp) Fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 5g (1tsp) Seasoned flour
- 5ml (1tsp) Oil
Place in a large saucepan of water the potatoes and parsnips. Bring to the boil and simmer until soft. Drain and mash together. Allow to cool slightly in a large bowl.
Dry-fry bacon, garlic and ginger together in a shallow pan until just starting to brown.
Add the bacon mixture to the mashed potato and parsnip, plus chilli powder, spring onions, green chilli, lime juice and rind, coriander and seasoning. Thoroughly mix together until all ingredients are combined well.
Shape into around 18 small balls and flatten into patties. Dust with seasoned flour. Cover and chill for about 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook each side until golden brown and heated through.
Serve with mixed salad leaves and fruit chutney of your choice or chilli mayo.
Makes about 18 cakes.