Mexican Pork With Garlic And Kidney Beans
- 450g lean pork cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1x 400g can red kidney beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 300ml hot pork or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 whole red or green chillies, optional
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 250g prepared frozen potato skins
- 25g Cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4.
In a large casserole dish, place the pork cubes, 1 onion, cut into chunks, garlic, crushed, chopped tomatoes, red kidney beans, drained and rinsed, stock, chilli powder, and chillies.
Mix well, cover and cook in the oven for 1½ hours until the meat is tender. Add the peppers.
Place the potato skins on top of the chilli and sprinkle with 25g (1oz) Cheddar cheese, grated.
Return the dish to the oven, uncovered for 20 minutes, until the potato skins are crispy and the cheese has melted. Remove chillies before serving.
Serve with potato skins, corn on the cob, crunchy veg and your favourite dips.
If extra children arrive for tea this recipe can easily be extended… add an extra can of sweetcorn and baked beans, and if you need to bulk out the skins, use chunks of bread – butter and top with grated cheese and grill or bake until melted and golden.