Italian Sausage Stew With Peppers And Crispy Kale
Not too tricky
- 8 sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 red peppers,deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 yellow peppers deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 200ml light red or dry white wine
- 200ml hot vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
For the crispy kale:
- 100g fresh kale, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion and peppers. Stir everything together then add 1 tablespoon water and turn the heat down low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then. Add a drizzle more water if the pan looks dry during this stage.
Brown the sausages in a separate pan. Stir the garlic into the peppers and cook for 1 minute. Add the sausages to the pepper mixture, along with the wine, stock, herbs and vinegar. Continue to cook, covered for a further 15 minutes.
Preheat the grill to moderate. Rub the kale with oil and season well. Spread out on a baking sheet and grill until the edges are crispy.
Divide the sausages and stew among four bowls, top with the kale and serve.