Italian Sausage Stew With Peppers And Crispy Kale
Not too tricky
- (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 2 red pepper (halved, deseeded and finely sliced)
- 2 yellow peppers (halved, deseeded and finely sliced)
- 8 sausages
- 2 garlic cloves (finely sliced)
- 200ml (7 fl oz) light red or dry white wine
- 200ml (7 fl oz) hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- (1 tbsp) red wine vinegar
For the crispy kale
- 100g (3.5oz) kale (chopped)
- (1 tbsp) olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the sliced onion and peppers. Stir everything together then add 1 tbsp water and turn the heat down low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then. Add a drizzle more water if the pan looks dry during this stage.
Brown the sausages in a separate pan. Stir the garlic into the peppers and cook for 1 minute. Add the sausages to the pepper mixture, along with the wine, stock, herbs and vinegar and continue to cook, covered for a further 15 minutes.
Preheat the grill. Rub the kale with oil and season well. Spread out on a baking sheet and grill until the edges are starting to crisp up.
Divide the sausages and stew among four bowls, top with the kale and serve.