Ham And Peas Pudding Broth
Not too tricky
- 900g lean unsmoked gammon joint
- 250g quick soak dried peas (soak for 2 hours) or overnight it, according to the packet instructions
- 2 carrots, peeled and left whole
- 2 onions, peeled and cut in half
- 900ml water
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut in half
- Black pepper (no salt)
- 300ml cider
- 2 bay leaves
Rehydrate peas by following pack instructions (usual soaking time is around 2 hours for quick soak variety or overnight for longer version).
Place gammon in large pan with rehydrated peas and the remaining ingredients.
Bring to the boil, skim off the scum and reduce to a gentle simmer with lid on for about 1½-2 hours, until gammon is tender and almost flaking and the peas have broken down and are ‘mushy’.
Remove rind and fat from gammon and serve in bowls with broken chunks and peas pudding broth and crusty bread for dunking!