Ham And Peas Pudding Broth
Not too tricky
- 900g (2lb) lean unsmoked gammon joint
- 250g (8oz) quick soak dried peas (soak for 2 hours)
- 2 carrots, peeled and left whole
- 2 onions, peeled and cut in half
- 900ml (1½pt) water
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut in half
- Black pepper (no salt)
- 300ml (½pt) cider
- 2 bayleaves
Rehydrate peas by following pack instructions (usual soaking time is around 2 hours for quick soak variety or overnight for longer version).
Place gammon in large pan with rehydrated peas and all remaining ingredients.
Bring to the boil, skim off the scum and reduce to a gentle simmer with lid on for about 1½-2 hours, until gammon is tender and almost flaking and the peas have broken down and are ‘mushy’.
Remove rind and fat from gammon and serve in bowls with broken chunks of crusty bread for dunking!