Fruity Pork Kebabs With Streaky Bacon
- 225g lean pork leg of loin steaks, fat removed, cut into small cubes
- 12 rashers unsmoked sweet cured streaky bacon
- 1 peach or nectarine, stone removed and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 Banana, peeled and cut into 6 chunks
For the Chilli BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons (3bsp) tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sauce
- 300ml pineapple
Heat up the BBQ – Make sure the coals are hot and ‘grey’ before you start cooking. Alternatively if it starts to rain preheat the grill!
Take each piece of fruit and wrap with a bacon rasher. Using metal skewers thread each pieces of fruit plus 2 cubes of meat onto each skewer. Brush with oil.
Cook for about 15 minutes until browned and meat cooked through and juices run clear. Cover the kebabs with foil, if browning too quickly or adjust the grid height to move away from the heat to slow down the cooking.
To prepare the chilli BBQ Sauce: Heat the oil in a small pan. Add the onion, apple and chilli, and cook until softened. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce slightly.
Serve kebabs with the BBQ sauce and a fruity slaw.