Chunky Pork Sausage With Rooty Mash
- 450g chunky pork traditional sausages
- 450g potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- ½ celeriac, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 300ml hot vegetable or pork stock (add a splash of sweet local ale)
- 1-2 tablespoons gravy granules
- Knob butter
- Black pepper
Place the potatoes, parsnips and celeriac into a large saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Heat the oil in large saucepan and add onion thyme. Cook gently until soft and starting to brown.
Add the stock and splash of ale, gravy granules and simmer to achieve your desired thickness of gravy (Add a pinch of sugar if it’s a little bitter).
Cook the sausages under a preheated moderate grill for about 10 minutes until browned and cooked through.
Drain root vegetables and mash together with butter and seasoning.
Serve the sausages and rooty mash with seasonal green vegetables.