Brazilian Pork with Kale and Black Bean Rice
- 4 pork loin medallions or steaks, fat removed
For the marinade
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped or 2 teaspoons garlic purée
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 50ml orange juice
For the salad
- 2 x 250g pouches wholegrain rice
- 1 x 400g can black beans or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 250g pack cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 100g kale, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
Place the pork on a chopping board between two large pieces of cling film. Using the base of small saucepan or rolling pin bash them all over until 1cm thin
In a bowl mix the marinade ingredients together and season. Add the pork, coat on both sides, cover and set aside for 15 minutes. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Spread out in a thin layer in a wide, shallow serving dish and cool quickly.
Prepare the salad; in a large bowl mix all the ingredients together. Season.
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4, 180°C, 160°C fan. Heat a non-stick ovenproof or griddle pan for a few minutes until hot. Add the pork (discard the marinade) and cook for 3 minutes on one side. Turn the pork over, place the pan on the middle shelf in the oven to cook for a further 6-8 minutes or until the juices run clear. Serve the pork with the salad.
If preferred, replace the kale with watercress leaves instead.