Bacon Muffins With Onion And Basil
Not too tricky
- 225g dry cured unsmoked back bacon rashers, trimmed and cut into large pieces
- 450g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs, medium
- 450ml milk
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 small handful fresh basil, roughly chopped or torn
- Small handful fresh basil, roughly chopped/torn
Preheat oven to, 180ºC, 160ºC Fan, Gas Mark 4.
Into a large bowl place flour, baking powder and salt.
Break the eggs into a jug and lightly mix with a fork. Add the milk and mix together.
Place the butter into a hot frying pan and add the bacon pieces and onion slices. Cook until onion is translucent and bacon cooked through.
Add the cooked bacon and onion to the flour and mix. Add the basil followed by the egg and milk mixture. Fold the mixture together using a large spoon until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Place muffin cases or scrunch greaseproof squares into muffin tins. Fill each muffin case almost to the top with mixture (should make about 18 muffins).
Cook in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes until well risen and golden.
Serve hot as a lunch, breakfast or snack, or cold for pack lunches or a picnic.