Bacon, Gruyere And Mushroom Melt
- 4 smoked maple cured back bacon rashers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 large mushroom, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 slices thickly cut crusty white bread
- 100g (4oz) Gruyere or Emmental type cheese, grated
Preheat the grill to moderate.
Grill the bacon rashers for 3-4 minutes until lightly cooked.
Heat the oil and butter in a small pan, add the mushroom and garlic and cook lightly for 2-3 minutes. Set to one side.
Toast the bread slices on one side.
To construct the sandwich, top the non-toasted side of each bread slice with mushrooms, then 2 bacon rashers and scatter with cheese. Repeat for second sandwich.
Place all slices under hot grill and cook until cheese is melted and golden. Serve the ‘loaded’ slices topped with the cheesy lids and a salad leaves.