Pork Sausage Lancashire Hotpot With Sage, Thyme And Black Pudding
1 hour 30 minutes
Not too tricky
- 450g chunky pork sausages
- 900g fluffy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 100g black pudding, roughly cubed
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 150ml good hot pork stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 50g hard, white, crumbly cheese (e.g. Lancashire or Cheddar), crumbled
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4.
Place the potatoes in a large pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Cook for a 15-20 minutes until the potatoes just begin to soften then drain.
Heat the oil in large saucepan and cook the onion and sausages until brown.
Place a layer of potatoes on the base of a large ovenproof casserole dish. Top with the sausages, half the butternut squash and black pudding, a sprig of fresh thyme and sage.
Add the remaining butternut squash and black pudding and pour over the stock. Top with the remaining potato slices, season, dot with butter and sprinkle with cheese.
Cover with foil and cook for 40 minutes, remove foil and cook for a further 30 minutes until golden brown.