Pork Sausage Lancashire Hotpot With Sage, Thyme And Black Pudding
1 hour 30 minutes
Not too tricky
- 450g (1lb) Chunky Pork sausages
- 900g (2lb) Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 15ml (1tbsp) Oil
- 1 Onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ Small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 100g (4oz) Black pudding, roughly cubed
- 1 Fresh sage sprig
- 1 Fresh thyme sprig
- 150ml (¼pt) Pork stock
- 15ml (1tbsp) Butter
- 50g (2oz) Hard, white, crumbly cheese (e.g. Lancashire or Cheddar), crumbled
Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas 4-5.
Place potatoes in a large pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Cook for a few minutes until the potatoes just begin to soften and drain.
Heat oil in large saucepan and brown onion and sausages.
Place a layer of potatoes on the base of a large oven-proof casserole pot. Top with sausages, half the butternut squash and black pudding, a sprig of fresh thyme and sage.
Add the remaining butternut squash and black pudding and pour over the stock. Top with remaining sliced potato, season, dot with butter and sprinkle with cheese.
Cover with foil and cook for 40 minutes, remove foil and cook for a further 30 minutes until browned and golden.
Serve with extra steamed seasonal vegetables.