Chipotle Marinated Pork
A Mexican inspired midweek meal of pork shoulder steaks marinated in a yogurt and chipotle paste mix and served with a vibrant salad with wholegrain, rice, lentils and mint.
Not too tricky
- 4 pork shoulder steaks (600g), trimmed of fat
For the chipotle marinade:
- 10 tablespoons natural fat free yogurt
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons prepared chipotle paste
For the salad:
- 1 x 250g pouch wholegrain rice
- 1 x 400g can green lentils in water, drained
- 1 x 130g pack watercress, spinach and rocket leaves
- 1 small handful of freshly chopped mint
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
In a large shallow bowl, mix the yogurt, garlic, chipotle and seasoning together. Spoon half the yogurt mixture into a clean bowl and set aside.
Transfer the steaks to the bowl and coat all over with the remaining marinade. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
To prepare the salad, put the rice into a large bowl. Add the lentils, salad leaves and mint.
Add 2 tablespoons of water to the reserved yogurt mixture and gently whisk. Pour over the salad and combine.
Cook the steaks under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared BBQ for 8-10 minutes, turning once, or until any meat juices run clear. Transfer to a warm plate and leave to rest for 2-3 minutes.
Serve the steaks with the salad and lemon wedges.
Alternatively, cook the shoulder steaks in a preheated griddle pan on the hob for 8-10 minutes, turning once.