BBQ Pork Kebabs and Ribs
Not too tricky
For the kebabs
- 450g lean pork shoulder, collar or leg steaks, cut into cubes
For the ribs
- 500g pork spare ribs or rack
- 2 whole star anise
- 6 whole black peppercorns
For the sticky ribs sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared plum sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli
For the mayo salsa
- 1 pack fresh mango cubes
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- Pinch each of ground cumin, ginger, and cinnamon
For the Kebabs
Thread the pork cubes onto long wooden or metal skewers (if wooden, soaked in cold water for 20 minutes to prevent burning). Don't squash meat together too much on skewers as it will slow cooking down. Place the skewers on preheated BBQ or moderate grill and cook for 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally.
For the Sticky Ribs
For fall-off-the-bone ribs: Take a large saucepan and fill with water, and the star anise and black peppercorns, corner and bring to the boil. Add the spare ribs or rack, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the pork from pan and discard water. Allow to cool.
Meanwhile, for the sticky rib sauce; in a large bowl mix all the ingredients together. Brush the sauce over the ribs or rack and cook gently on the BBQ until the glaze is sticky and golden.
For the Green Pepper and Chilli Mojo:
In a small bowl mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
For the Mango Salsa:
In a medium bowl mix all the ingredients together and set aside.