Aldo Zilli’s Bacon Tagliatelle Carbonara
- 75g butter
- 1x 175g dry cured unsmoked bacon, cut into strips plus streaky rashers to garnish
- 400g tagliatelle
- 8 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons double cream
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon freshly chopped parsley
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil for the pasta. Melt the butter in a large, deep frying pan, add the bacon and cook over a medium heat for a few minutes, until golden brown.
Add the pasta to the water, stir and return to a gentle rolling boil. Cook for 8 minutes until al dente.
Meanwhile, in a bowl large enough to hold the pasta, mix together the egg yolks, cream, Parmesan, pepper, nutmeg and parsley.
Drain the pasta. Remove the bacon from the heat and add the pasta to it and mix together.
Add the pasta mixture to the egg mixture and toss well. The heat from the bacon, butter and pasta will cook the egg yolks.
You must serve the dish immediately or the eggs will curdle.
Tip: Why not try dry cured bacon with maple or honey for a smoky, syrupy flavour.