Pork Meatballs Baked With Cheesy Crumb Top
- 15ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 450g (1lb) lean minced pork
- 30ml (2tbsp) fresh basil, chopped
- 400g approx can chopped tomatoes
- 30ml (2tbsp) tomato ketchup
- 15ml fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 15ml fresh basil, roughly torn
- Black Pepper
- 50g (2oz) Double Gloucester cheese with chives, grated or any similar hard cheese grated
- 25g (1oz) breadcrumbs
Preheat the oven.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for about 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
Place the mince and chopped basil in a large bowl and add half the onion mixture.
Mix together well and shape into about 15 balls.
Add the chopped tomatoes, ketchup, parsley, torn basil and black pepper to the remaining onion mixture. Pour the sauce into the bottom of a family sized gratin dish. Carefully place the meatballs into the dish and spoon a little of the tomato sauce over the top.
Mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese. Top the meatballs with the breadcrumb mixture and bake for about 30 minutes until topping is golden and meatballs are cooked through.
Serve the meatballs with crusty bread and green salad.