Pork Meatballs Baked With Cheesy Crumb Top
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 450g lean pork mince
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, roughly torn
- Black Pepper
- 50g double Gloucester cheese with chives, grated or any similar hard cheese grated
- 25g breadcrumbs
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
Place the mince and chopped basil in a large bowl and add half the onion and garlic mixture. Mix together well and shape into about 15 balls.
Add the chopped tomatoes, ketchup, parsley, torn basil and black pepper to the remaining onion mixture. Pour the sauce into the bottom of a family sized gratin dish. Carefully place the meatballs into the dish and spoon a little of the tomato sauce over the top.
Mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese. Top the meatballs with the breadcrumb mixture and bake for about 30 minutes until topping is golden and meatballs are cooked through.
Serve the meatballs with crusty bread and green salad.